Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Why Write This Book?

Some folks have asked me why I decided to write a book about spirituality as it pertains to AA.  The reasons are pretty simple.  The first is based on something I hear frequently at meetings when people say something along the lines of "I know AA works - I don't know how it works, but it works."  I think people should know how it works.

The second is something that happens when I attend AA meetings at jail or prison.  I see prisoners attend a few meetings and then drop out or some who complete some steps and then either can't or won't go through the remaining steps.  I believe that if people can't see how the Steps connect to lead us from self-centered drunk to sober individual to leading a peaceful, grateful life, then they are missing the beauty of the program.  They miss out on the acceptance and unconditional support of the community of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I wrote the book with my understanding of the Steps and how they have worked for me.  Others may have had a different experience that worked for them and that's okay too.  My personal belief is that without God, AA and the Twelve Steps I would have been a dead man a long time ago.  My hope is that even one person can read my book and be encouraged to attend meetings, get a sponsor, work the Steps and find the joy of recovery.

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration to your family and a wonderful role model as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete